Every home has one part that can serve so many different purposes and it is the garage. Winter is almost here and this is the perfect time to think about preparing your garage for the winter season. Some homeowners use the garage for just parking and some use it for various purposes just like store garden tools, cycles, extra furniture or many other things.
Having a winter proof is very helpful because it helps to maintain a warm temperature in your home during the season. A properly insulated garage offers you with a convenient workplace all year round. A garage is an area that most homeowners neglect when they make their home energy efficient. Here are some great ideas to keep your garage warm in the winter season.
- Fix or replace weather stripping: Weather stripping is an essential part of the garage door. Over the time, weather stripping to become cracked, old and warped. It is an easy target for cold air. Replacing an old weather stripping is a DIY project and it take a few hours.
- Insulate the walls: If you have an attached garage, it is imperative that the walls be insulated. Insulating its walls and ceiling is the first step to keeping a garage warm throughout the cold season. This is a crucial step to prevent cold and wind from seeping through to the inside.
- Seal gaps and cracks: Cold air does not seep in through doors only. You may have cracks and gaps in the walls. Cracks and crevices are also contributing to the problem. The main areas you should check are vents, windows, electrical sockets, and areas around pipes. Sealing all the cracks, gaps and crevices will help you to keep a garage warm. If you use this large space as a workplace or as a gym, a cold garage is most frustrating.
- Upgrade the overhead door: There are a plenty of options available for you to upgrade the overhead door. If you have an old or broken overhead door, it is a good idea to replace it with a modern insulated door. If you are not able to buy a new door, you can wrap up the door using foam boards and fiberglass batt insulation.
- Schedule overhead door repair: By setting up a regular schedule of repair and maintenance, you can prevent any kind of issue and keep this large space in good working condition.
Finding the right way to keep your garage warm in the cold season is not so difficult. Whether you want to keep the garage warm or just want to add an additional room to your house, adding a new door is a big first step. If you really want to install a new door, Canadian Garage Doors and Windows will help you.